Wednesday, April 13, 2005

"Blue Song" Found in New Orleans

The New York Times reported yesterday that a previously unknown poem by playwright Tennessee Williams was discovered in the back of a small blue test booklet from Washington University in St. Louis. Williams penned the poem, "Blue Song," while taking a final exam in Greek in May 1937 at the University. The poem was discovered by Harvey I. Schvey, a Washington University professor, among the Williams-related materials kept at Faulkner House Books, a bookstore in New Orleans. A portion of the poem reads: "If you should meet me upon a/ street do not question me for/ I can tell you only my name/ and the name of the town I was/ born in . . . To read more of Williams, the poet, New Directions published The Collected Poems of Tennessee Williams in 2002.